The original Co-op on the King Edward Street / Jameson Street site was bombed on the 8th and 9th May 1941
Date and © Unknown. Edwin Davis, Bond Street Hull, sat next to the Co-op store. Edwin Davis was destroyed twice by enemy action. First in WW1 by bombs dropped by Zeppelins it was again flattened in the May 1941 bombings of The Hull Blitz. The store was rebuilt and reopened in 1952 trading until 1978 when it closed as a retail outlet forever.
Rebuilding of the Co-op starts in 1954. The building work is piecemeal, with completion in 1963
The Skyline Pantry opens Friday 22 November 1963 under the mural side of the store
The Fish mural was hand-made by Alan Boyson in 1961, and is located in the corridor outside the Skyline Ballroom
Publicity for Skyline Ballroom concerts
The Hull and East Riding Co-Operative Society, 1963–1984
British Home Stores, 1985–March 2016
Baileys, 1971 Aug–1977 Aug · nightclub on the fourth floor where the Skyline Ballroom once resided
Romeo's & Juliet's, c.1978–79–1991 · nightclub on the fourth floor where the Skyline Ballroom and Baileys once resided
Fletchers bakery/café opposite the Co-Op (closed c.2008) and Fletchers penny fountain (Mayday c.1956–2005)
The building and exterior mural as of 2018
Every effort has been made to name the copyright holders of the images in this gallery. Please get in touch if you notice any mistakes, or have additional information that we've been unable to locate in our research. Special thanks go to Angus Young of the Hull Daily Mail, Christopher Marsden, and members of Hull the Good Old Days for giving us consent to include their images.
Follow us on Twitter and Instagram or email us:
© 2018 Esther Johnson, Leigh Bird
Site Materials All Rights Reserved